Burnout is a workplace issue that affects many business owners and entrepreneurs. It’s more than just being tired or bored. It’s when we’re drained of our physical and emotional energy from work, and we feel like there’s nothing left to give. We can’t recover with rest because the problems at work are still waiting for us when we return.
But, what can make burnout inevitable? Well, here are the 5 signs of burnout to keep an eye out for so that you can turn your situation around before it gets worse.
1) You Feel Exhausted at Work: There’s no doubt about it – overworking is a major cause of burnout. When we’re at our limits, we start to feel stressed out, anxious, and worried about work. Eventually, these feelings can pile up on top of each other until we reach burnout.
2) You’re Tired in the Morning: If you find yourself constantly feeling groggy when you wake up, that’s a red flag that you’re experiencing high levels of stress. When we’re stressed, our bodies produce more cortisol, which suppresses the immune system and keeps us from getting enough sleep.
3) You’re Unhappy With Your Work: If you feel like your business is sapping away all your happiness and energy every day, burnout is probably on its way. Working too much can drain you until you’re no longer enjoying your job or even looking forward to going into work.
4) You Don’t Feel Supported: Teamwork is important at any business, but when you feel like there’s nobody backing you up or helping you through tough times, it can be incredibly difficult to continue working hard and keep a positive attitude. This can be particularly challenging for small business owners because most of us don’t have a great support system to help with burnout.
5) Your Personal Life is Suffering: A lot of people want to keep their business and personal life separate, but the truth is that when we’re experiencing burnout, our personal lives will take a hit as well. If you’re spending a lot of time worrying about your business and putting in long hours, it can be hard to have energy left over for your personal life.
Burnout Has To Be Taken Seriously
If any of these signs jumped out to you, realize that burnout is a serious issue that can be detrimental to both your work and personal life. In addition to these 5 signs, burnout has been linked to high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes. If you’re burnt out, your productivity will plummet and your performance will suffer dramatically.
All of this means you might need to change something in order to avoid experiencing the debilitating effects of this condition. These changes may include creating more flexibility in your work, finding people to do the work that doesn’t suit you, and finding a coach to help. For some other tips, check out my article on the 5 Foolproof Ways to Overcome Burnout.
If you’re struggling with burnout right now, don’t wait until it’s too late – take action today!
I’m here to support you and connect. Even a quick brainstorming call to discuss how burnout is affecting you could be the reprieve that you need. You can schedule a call using the link below (it’s free – no sales pressure, I promise).